Sunday, February 22, 2009

Anxious at the beginning, but excited at the end!

During my undergraduate study, I felt interested in pursuing my study for getting a master’s degree. Since I did not want to study anymore in my home country, I desired to study in the United States. Two years after my undergraduate study, I heard about the Fulbright Scholarship program. This program is a scholarship granted by the American government to the citizens of about 150 countries throughout the world. It is designed to foster cultural and educational exchanges among U.S. citizens and those of other countries.
In fact, this scholarship was the best way to help me start my graduate study in the U.S. But how will it get? I had to compete. First, I applied online. Next, I brought some additional files to the U.S. embassy in my home country. Then, I was scheduled to take the Institutional TOEFL as the Fulbright selection process. In the meantime, I was anxious, because 200 people were competing for this scholarship. However, only 12 or 16 people out of those candidates, should be selected as recipients. Anyway, I went to take the exam. As it was my first TOEFL exam, I did not understand all the instructions. And as a result, I made a mistake that could jeopardize my chance of being selected for an interview. So, I was very scared. Surprisingly, I was among the 60 candidates who were selected for an interview. What a relief! Thus, I prepared myself for the interview, for I regained confidence. When the d-day arrived, I headed to the U.S. embassy, filled with confidence of convincing the selection committee. Interestingly, I gave impressive answers to all the questions it asked me. Thus, four days after the interview, I received an email that notified me of my final selection for the award. Then, I was excited. As I was dreaming of studying in U.S., right now, my dream comes true.
In short, dreaming and trying are important to succeed in life, for where there is a will, there is a way.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your feelings, but I'm happy that you got to know within a few days...I have to wait! Hopefully, I'll have your same pleasant experience of acceptance!

    ReplyDelete